|September 24, 2019||CCDB open for Fast Track submissions|
|October 24, 2019||Deadline to submit Fast Track applications (extending this deadline is not possible)|
|Late March 2020||Notification with the results of the 2020 competition sent to PIs|
|Early April 2020||Implement new allocations|
Only eligible PIs will receive an invitation to Fast Track. This email will be sent in early September.
If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria, yet did not receive an invitation to Fast Track, please email our RAC team
Table of contents:
- Eligibility criteria
- Important things to know
- Benefits of the Fast Track process
- Acceptable changes
- Application and review process
- PI must have an active allocation in any Compute Canada resource.
- PI must have fast tracked only once or be using this process for the first time since their previous Resources for Research Groups (RRG) application.
PI must have received a science score equal or greater than 2.5 points (out of 5) in their previous RRG application.
- Eligibility is not restricted by the size of the request.
- PIs that received an allocation via the out-of-round RRG application process and meet the above criteria are eligible to Fast Track.
Important Things to Know
- Applying through the Fast Track process DOES NOT guarantee that you will receive the same allocation as last year. Fast Track requests are subject to resource scaling, using the same scale as any other application in the 2020 competition. This could lead to either an increase or a decrease in allocated resources for your project compared to last year.
- Important: Your requested allocation may be scaled by a different factor than it was last year, according to resource demand and availability constraints.
- Compute Canada is decommissioning most of its legacy systems by April 2020. This means that some allocations will have to be migrated to other available systems.
Benefits of the Fast Track Process
- Lightweight application.
- Eligible PIs can Fast Track for up to 2 consecutive years.
- Canadian Common CV (CCV) is not required.
Certain modifications to current allocations are allowed. This includes:
- Up to 10% increase of PROJECT, NEARLINE and/or dCache storage requested.
- Minor adjustments to project description (major changes to the project may require a new application).
- Change of resource location (i.e. request to migrate current allocation from one system to another). Please visit the Available Resources page to see the list of systems available.
Important: Increase of CPU, GPU or Cloud requests are not allowed. If you need more of any of these resources, you must submit a new application.
Application and Review Process
- Eligible PIs will receive an email invitation in early September 2019 to Fast Track that contains the link to the online application page.
- On CCDB (Compute Canada Database), PIs can accept the invitation and continue with the Fast Track process, or decline the invitation and submit a full application to the Resources for Research Groups (RRG) Competition.
- Delegation (to a sponsored user) of the Fast Track application on CCDB is not enabled. PIs must complete and submit their own Fast Track application.
The Fast Track online application form includes three sections:
- Details (required): Include any issues with your current allocation, any request for a change of system, storage increase, decrease of other resources needed, and any other relevant information about your resource request.
- Progress report (required): Provide details about what has been accomplished with the resources used (e.g. publications).
- Justification of low usage: Required only for PIs whose projected usage is lower than 50% of the amount allocated. Provide details for why the usage is lower, any problems encountered and how the next year allocation will be utilized.
- Fast Track applications receive a technical review but do not receive another scientific review.
If you have questions about the Fast Track process, please email our RAC team